Chapter XIV: The Revision
of the Constitution
(1) The revision of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of
Iran, whenever needed by the circumstances, will be done in the
The Leader issues an edict to the President after consultation with
the Nation's Exigency Council stipulating the amendments
or additions to be made by the Council for Revision of the
Constitution which consists of:
1. Members of the Guardian Council;
2. heads of the three branches of the government;
3. permanent members of the Nation's Exigency Council;
4. five members from among the Assembly of Experts;
5. ten representatives selected by the Leader;
6. three representatives from the Council of Ministers;
7. three representatives from the judiciary branch;
8. ten representatives from among the members of the Islamic
Consultative Assembly; and
9. three representatives from among the university professors.
(2) The method of working, manner of selection and the terms and
conditions of the Council shall be determined by law.
(3) The decisions of the Council, after the confirmation and
signatures of the Leader, shall be valid if approved by an absolute
majority vote in a national referendum.
(4) The provisions of Article 59 shall not apply to the referendum
for the "Revision of the Constitution."
(5) The contents of the articles of the Constitution related to the
Islamic character of the political system; the basis of all the
rules and regulations according to Islamic criteria; the religious
footing; the objectives of the Islamic Republic of Iran; the
democratic character of the government; the holy principle; the
Imamate of Ummah; and the administration of the affairs of the
country based on national referenda, official religion of Iran and
the religious school are unalterable.